Simon N Wood
Mathematical Sciences (4W5.14),
University of Bath,
Bath, BA2 7AY UK; +44 (0)1225 386603;
s.wood _at_ bath.ac.uk
Apologies if I have not replied to you on an mgcv related query: I've got
rather behind on mgcv email, especially on the interesting stuff that
I work as a professor in the
statistics group at the university of Bath (part time as I have two small children). I currently hold an EPSRC established career fellowship and have two
main research interests.
Fuller lists of papers are at
version with added mistakes here.).
In 2006 I published a book called
Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R , which explains
the smooth modelling part of my work in some detail. Alternatively if you'd like to see me try to explain what I do whilst tired and anaemic, then here is a university research video.
- Smoothing. In particular methods
for generalized additive modelling and applications of generalized
additive models (GAMs). I am especially interested in smoothness
selection, and low rank spline smoothing, and have written an R package called
which implements GAMs. Some recent example smoothing papers are
- Wood, SN, MV Bravington and SL Hedley (2008) Soap film
smoothing. JRSSB, 70(5), 931-955.
- Wood, SN (2011) Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and
marginal likelihood estimation of semiparametric generalized linear
models. JRSSB, 73(1), 3-36
- Wood, SN (2013) On p-values for smooth components of an extended generalized additive model Biometrika 100(1), 221-228.
- Statistical Ecology. In particular using ecological dynamic
statistical models to help understand ecological mechanisms, and
ecological applications of nonlinear random effects models and smooth
models, as part of NCSE. Some recent
example statistical ecology papers are
- Augustin, NH, M Musio, K von Wilpert, E Kublin, SN Wood, and M
Schumacher (2009) Modelling spatio-temporal forest health monitoring
data. JASA 104, 899-911.
- Wood SN (2010) Statistical inference for noisy nonlinear
ecological dynamic systems. Nature 466(26): 1102-1104. (or short web version with links to supplementary material and methods ).
- Augustin, NH, V Trenkel, SN Wood and P Lorance (2013) Space-time modelling of blue ling for fisheries stock management Environmetrics 24(2), 109-119.
- Matteo Fasiolo, works on statistics for ecological dynamic systems.
- Dr. Natalya Pya, worked on shape preserving smoothing and is now a PDRA
working on statistical ecology.
- David Miller has recently defended a thesis on
finite area smoothing.
Here is a selection of talks. It's not exhaustive, but hopefully gives
some idea of what I work on.
I am teaching 2 courses this year
Here are a couple of examples of previous courses
- mgcv - generalized
additive (mixed) models and other generalized ridge regression for R.
- C.V. (not up to date).
- Bath maps